Attitude and Gratitude, Creativity, Handling Tough Times, Inspired Living, Keeping Fit, Self-Love, Skin Care
Naps and Other Gifts We Can Give Ourselves
The gifts we give ourselves have an incredible impact on the quality of our lives. More than what others do, what we do for ourselves gives us more confidence and creative energy each day. And so often, this process begins with the simple permission to enjoy what is already available to us.
Little indulgences can seem like luxuries when we are worn out and frazzled, or when the winter blahs set in. Here are ten fun little things you can do for yourself (really it is OK – permission granted!) just to let you know how special you are:
- Take a nap. This is a luxury few of us afford ourselves. But by taking the time to rest a little bit – even 15 or 20 minutes is enough – we regain more productivity later. If you are tired, rest. Your body and mind will thank you.
- Practice art. Those of us who are not artists probably do not take time on a regular basis to create. We may secretly wish we could paint, knit, draw, or sew, but have never allowed ourselves to experiment or learn. But each of us is creative and making things – playing with art – can be very freeing. It slows down time and allows us to be in the moment.
- Dance a little bit. Nothing puts me in a better mood than to put on some fun music and dance a little. Sounds silly? I am sure that it is, but I feel great afterwards, so who cares? Try the songs you danced to in college! It will bring back some happy memories, too.
- Meditate. Meditation is a simple act that can calm your mind and spirit and help you let go of worries. If you are not a practitioner, simply sit comfortably, close your eyes and relax. I often picture myself next to a river. As worrisome thoughts come, I gently catch them, place them in the river and watch them float upstream.
- Listen to a story. My new go-to when I have chores to do is to listen to a story. We forget as adults how fun it is to be read to! I use Audible, but most libraries also have systems for downloading audio books for free. Cleaning and doing laundry will never be the same!
- Go on a treasure hunt. A special treat is to go to an antique or resale shop just to browse for “treasure”. I set a dollar limit and make a short game of it, seeing what special something I can find for that amount. If I don’t want to spend, I simply browse, looking for ideas. Either way, it is fun!
- Enjoy a mini-facial. It doesn’t take much to feel pampered. With clean skin, pour hot water and a drop or two of essential oil in a bowl and place a towel over your head to trap the steam. Let your face steam a bit and cleanse and moisturize. You’ll look and feel refreshed!
- Watch a foreign movie. Why a foreign movie? Foreign films often offer an entirely different perspective on life, as well as a glimpse of other cultures that can refresh your way of thinking. Think of it as a mini-vacation.
- Go for a walk. A walk as short as around the block or as long as on a trail in the nearest forest preserve can do wonders! Fresh air, movement, and time to think is always a luxury.
- Write in a gratitude journal. Only have a minute? Use that minute to count your blessings. A gratitude journal can be as detailed or as simple as you like. I like to write five things for which I am grateful at the end of each day, and it always makes me feel content.